Effective date: June 14, 2021
cleanbeautyjustice.org is a website operated by Environmental Defense Fund (EDF). This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use and disclose personal information gathered through this website. We take protecting your privacy very seriously and will always take all reasonable steps within our power to make sure your personal information is safe.
The website is not intended for persons under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from young people. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided by under 18s at our discretion.
“Personal information” is information that identifies or relates to a particular individual. Examples of Personal Information include, among others, name, email address, phone number, mailing address, and online identifiers. This Privacy Notice will be updated from time to time. If you have any questions, please Contact Us.
- Who we are and how to contact us
- What personal information we collect
- How we collect personal information
- What purposes do we use your personal information for
- Your rights concerning your personal information
- Who we share your personal information with
- How we keep your personal information safe
- How long we will store your personal information for
- International use of the Site
1. Who we are and how to contact us
The website operator, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF), is a non-profit, tax-deductible environmental advocacy and research organization. EDF are responsible for any information collected on or used by our websites. You can contact us by using the Contact Us form.
2. What personal information we collect
The personal information we collect includes:
- Any personal information you provide via the website, e.g. if you sign-up for email updates. Sign-up is optional, but if you do wish to sign up we ask you to provide your first name, last name, organization and email address.
- We request the same personal information if you use our Contact Us form.
- When you visit the website, our servers automatically record information, including your IP address, browser type, referring URLs (e.g., the site you visited before coming to our Site), domain names associated with your internet service provider, information on your interaction with the website, and other such information (collectively, “Log File Information”). We may also collect similar information from emails sent to you which then help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients.
- We use Log File Information to help secure the website by identifying potential threats and vulnerabilities, and to analyze the effectiveness of the website to improve its function and content.
3. How we collect personal information
We collect personal information when you interact with us. The type and quantity of personal information we collect and how we use it depends on why you are providing it. For example, we may collect information when you:
- Visit and browse our website
- Sign-up for our email updates
- Use our Contact Us form
4. What purposes we do use your personal information for
We will use your personal information to:
- Keep a record of your contact with us
- Provide you with the services, products or information you have asked for
- To provide email updates to you. We will only send these if you requested these emails. You can opt-out at any time by Contacting Us.
- Carry out any obligations arising from any contracts or agreements you may enter into with us.
5. Your rights concerning your personal information
Depending on where you live, you may have certain rights concerning how we use your personal information.
Right to access, rectify, or delete your personal information
You may have the right to access your personal information and be notified of the purposes for which we use it.
You may have the right to ask for any errors in the personal information we hold about you to be rectified, or to request the restriction of our processing of your personal information or to request for it to be erased.
If you don’t want us to retain certain personal information, it’s best just not to give that personal information to us. If you want us to erase certain or all of the personal information we hold about you, please let us know.
You may request to exercise any of the above rights, or change your preferences, by Contacting Us.
Right to withdraw consent
If you signed-up to receive our newsletter you can withdraw your consent by clicking on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link on any email update we send you.
Right to complain
You have the right to complain to us about the way we use your personal information, by using the Contact Us form.
6. Who we share your personal information with
We would only disclose your personal information with other parties for specific, limited and legal purposes, such as:
- if we believe in good faith that the law requires disclosure, such as in the event of a police investigation, or to regulatory bodies or legal advisors;
- when it’s necessary to disclose information to protect the rights, property and safety of EDF or others; or
- if you have given us your permission to share it with another party.
We may allow our suppliers or data processors to access and use your personal information to allow them to perform specific services on our behalf. In these circumstances, we will not give these organisations any rights to use your personal information for their own purposes. They must only use your details to provide specific services to us, in accordance with our instructions.
As part of agreements with our service providers we may need to transfer personal information to other countries, so they can perform services on our behalf. When doing so we take steps to ensure that the transfer and processing of personal information is subject to appropriate security measures and safeguards.
7. How we keep your personal information safe
We take commercially reasonable precautions to protect us and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold.
We take care to utilize appropriate and reasonable administrative, physical, and technical measures to help safeguard personally identifiable information that we control.
Despite the efforts we use to protect your information, no transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your use of the Services or engagement with us is no longer secure, please contact us immediately.
8. How long we will store your personal information for
We will hold your personal information only as long as is necessary for specific purpose(s), in accordance with our Data Retention Policy. We also may retain Personal Information to the extent required by law and/or for so long as it is necessary to do so for the purposes for which it was initially collected.
9. International use of the site
If you are using our websites from outside the United States, please be aware that personal information will be collected, stored, and processed in the United States. Please be aware that the data protection laws of the United States might not be as comprehensive as those in your country.
This Privacy Notice was updated in June 2021.